Tips for Exercising Your Right to Remain Silent
Silence speaks volumes, but it demands that you listen even in the absence of sound. Just as the wind reminds that air surrounds us, total silence seems to amplify the noise in our heads.
Silence blasts out inner noise, through opening the door to tranquil space where healthy things can happen. It’s where we
- restore from mental fatigue
- improve focus and concentration
- think creatively and generate solutions to problems
- reduce stress
- release tension
- experience spiritual awakening
- and at the end of the day… sleep better
Echoing the benefits of quiet time, a scientific study found that even 2 minutes of silence was more relaxing than listening to “relaxing” or meditative music. The results showed lower blood pressure and better blood circulation in the brain, for study participants (Journal Heart, 2006).
I’m continually challenged with finding opportunities to stop, sit still, and take time out to dwell in the magnificent zone of silence. Yet, when I do so, I always reap the rewards, if nothing more than arising in a calmer, more peaceful mental and emotional state; that's priceless! Here I share a few insights about silent reflection.
7 Reasons to Turn Sound Off
- Speech is silver. Silence is golden. There are times when saying nothing is preferable to speaking (Thomas Caryle). If communication is necessary exchange words on paper, and hold a silent conversation.
- Silence is a conduit through which creative thoughts can freely flow. Listen closely and act on the messages received when the sound’s off.
- Silence is the antidote to noise pollution. Channel peace through quiet reflection.
- Silence is good for the brain. Regularly clear mental clutter, meditate, daydream or simply let your mind wander.
- Silence is a connector to spirit. Quietly welcome zen in. Book a silent retreat weekend to meditate and rejuvenate.
- Silence is a source of great strength. (Lao Tzu). Preserve 5-10 mins every day to sit silently in your home, or walk in nature outdoors.
- Silence is activated when the mute button is turned on. Now is a great time for self-care. WWatch a silent movie. Enjoy an oldie or your favorite film without sound.
Remember, there is no need to go to India or anywhere else to find peace. You will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub.
Create A Soothing Soundscape